meerut, DN college, merut, dn college, D.N. college meerut, DN college in meerut, meerut college, college meerut, college in meerut colleges in meerut, university meerut, meerut university, ccs, ccs university, ccs university in meerut, merut university, ch charan singh university, college ccs univ, ccs univ, devnagri inter college, globalxsys, colleges in meerut district, meerut district, district college in meerut, rg college, meerut, RG college, raghunath college meerut, meerut india
Meerut, DN College, Devanagri College, CCS University, college in meerut
   
DN College Meerut

D.N. College, Meerut

College in meerut Devanagri College  

History of the College


Pt. Gauri Dutt Sharma, a staunch nationalist started a small Deva Nagri School 1882 for teaching and popularizing Hindi. It became high school in 1921. That was the time when national liberation movement was at its peak and Deva Nagri School was Incoming as the center of its activities. Having earned extra ordinary reputation in teaching and discipline, the Deva Nagri Shiksha Samiti, headed by Pt. Prayag Dutt Sharma as President and Seth Sharda Prasad as Hony. Secretary decided to start degree classes in 1958. Soon Shri. K.D. Agarwal the then Principal of D.N. Inter College, was appointed as the first Principal of D.N. Degree College. At the same time Shri. P.N. Chatterji from D.N. Polytechnic, Shri. J.K. Khanna from D.N. Inter College and Shri. C.P. Atey from DAV College, Muzaffarnagar were appointed as Heads of Deptt. Of Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics respectively. Shri R.N.S. Tyagi as Head of Statistics Deptt joined them a little after. The college started functioning w.e.f. July 1958. Only twenty-five students appeared in the first batch of B.Sc.

By dint of exemplary hard work and devotion the college continued teaching work under acute financial crisis. In 1964, the college-started postgraduate in chemistry and Dr. S.P. Gupta of Meerut College joined as Head of the Deptt. A year after i.e., in 1965 postgraduate classes was started in Mathematics and Shri. P.N. Chatterji continued as Head of post graduate Deptt. In the same year the college started undergraduate classes of biology group and Shri. Y.P. Purang of M.M. College, Modinagar and Dr. N.P. Saxena joined as Head of Zoology and Botany Deptt. Respectively. Mr Purang left the college after a year and Shri. O.P. Garg from NREC College, Khurja joined as new Head of Zoology Deptt.

Initially the college began a few rooms of D.N. Inter College hostel but by 1968 a new building of Chemistry Deptt came into existence. The college received the first building grant from UGC in 1970 for constructing the departments of Botany and Zoology. Through the untiring zeal and efforts of the then Hony. Secretary Shri V.S. Gupta and Principal Dr. K.D. Agarwal, these blocks came into existence the part of the building, which was under the possession of D.N. Polytechnic, also came to degree college. The college started post graduation in Economics in 1966 and Dr. H.C. Verma joined as Head. A new faculty of Commerce was added in the College in 1972 and Dr. M.R. Bansal was appointed as Head of the Deptt. Post graduation in Commerce was started in 1979. In 1982 the college also started post graduate classes in Botany and Zoology and in Physics in the year 2000. Post graduation in English was started in 2001. The college provides adequate research facilities in the subjects of chemistry, Physics, Botany, Zoology, Mathematics, Commerce, Economics and English several students have taken doctorate degree of CCS University, Meerut under the supervision of faculty member of different departments. Teachers of the college worked abroad as visiting scientists viz. Dr. N.P. Saxena in Switzerland (1970-71), Dr. V.P. Kudesia in Bolgium (1971-72).

The founder Principal Dr. K.D. Agarwal retired in 1977 and thereafter Dr. S.P. Gupta joined as second Principal of the college, who continued till 1985. After Dr. Gupta the Principalship of the college passed on to Mr. K.N. Nagar (1985-1991), Dr. P.C. Pachauri (1991-2002), Dr. V.K. Agarwal (2002-03) and then to Dr. H. Kumar who is holding this post at the moment.

In the past decade the college has added a large component of building comprising a huge double storied block of Commerce Deptt and lecture rooms, an administrative block; post graduate block of Physics, a spacious block of the college library, labs of Botany and Chemistry Deptt, a canteen and a gymnasium. The architect of all this progress is our current Hony. Secretary, Seth Daya Nand Gupta. In spite of his extremely busy schedule due to his other responsibility as president, Zila Parishad he always find time to visit and watch the progress of the college almost every day. He got his plan executed through the untiring zeal of Principals like Dr. Pachauri, Dr. Agarwal and Dr. Kumar

A conference of College Principals and Educational administrators was organized by Ch. Charan Singh University, Meerut from 11th Feb. 2005 to 13th Feb. 2005 which was attended by a large number of distinguished principals and Educational administrators from all over the country. The function of 12th Feb.2005 was hosted by D.N. College, Meerut. It was addressed by Prof. G.D. Sharma, National President, I.C.F.; Prof. R.P. Singh, the then Vice- Chancellor, C.C.S. University, Meerut; Shri Daya Nand Gupta, Hony. Secretary, D.N. College, Meerut and several other distinguished Principals. A Cultural Programme was also organized in the College Campus, which was followed by Dinner.



StrengthAlumniCourses Offered by the CollegeEducational Update