With the grace of Almighty, the English Department came into existence in 1967 under the patronage of Dr. K.D. Agarwal, the honourable principal of that time. Under the guidance of Dr. Sudarshana Diwedi, the then H.O.D., the English Department ran successfully. She worked from 1967-69. At that time in our college English was opted as general English in U.G. Level. It was compulsory for all students of all faculties-Arts, Science and Commerce. In 1969 Dr. Aparna Dublish worked as H.O.D. in English. She worked from 1969-71. The results during that time were extremely good.
In 1971 Dr. Alka Rastogi joined the college. She has been working as H.O.D. since 1971 till date. Under her expert guidance the department blossomed and prospered, climbing new stairs of progress and success. In 1973 with the opening of the commerce faculty, the strength of the students offering Gen. English increased and the department yielded good results.
In 2001, with the efforts of Honourable Seth Daya Nand Gupta Ji, the Honorary Secretary of D.N. College, Managing Committee, the department became a P.G. department. In the first batch (2002-03) eleven students appeared. The result was 100% with unique achievement of two first classes. One student named Pallavi Kapoor secured IVth position in the merit list of the University. This result was extra-ordinary lagging behind all the local colleges of Meerut. In the year (2003-04) too, the result was 100% with two first classes. In 2004-2005 the result was 100% maintaining its record of two first classes.Since Then Till 2007 -08 the result was 100% With two First classes each year.In 2008-09 five students
secured Ist division and the result is 100%.
Besides academic achievements of the faculty members and students, the research activities are continued in the department in full swing. The department was recognised as Research centre in 2003 by the panel of C.C.S. University, Meerut. Since then five students have been awarded Ph.D, three students have submitted their thesis for Ph.D. Degree and eight Students have been working for Doctoral Degrce under the guidance of Dr. Alka Rastogi,(H.O.D.). All the teachers of the Department including.Dr. Poonam Swami,Km. Sakshi Tyagi , Km. Roohina Anees are also busy in their research activities.From 2006-2009 , twelve students have completed their disscrtation for M.A.under the supervision of Dr. Alka Rastogi
Besides research activities, co-curricular activities and extra-curricular activities such as debates, cultural activities, Quizzes, Seminars, Tutorial, Group discussions are conducted in the department round the year in which both the teachers and students take active participation.
At a Glance
(1) With the opening of the P.G. Classes, the Department Continue to yield exemplary result with two first Classes at least,This year in 2008-09,five Students secured 1st Division With 100% result.
(2) There are four Faculty members in the Department one permenent and the three under Self Finance Scheme.
(3) Five Students have been awarded Ph. D.Degree and Three have Subimitted Their Thesis.Eight Students are working under the Supervision of Dr. Alka Rastogi, H.O.D.
(4)The Research Activities in the Department are at full swing other Faculty Members are also indulged in Research Activities.
(5) In 2005-06 The Department organised a National Seminar on the topic "The Influence of History On Indian Literature" The Vice -Chancellor inaugurated the function and four Resource -persons Prof. Manorama Tirkha,the H.O.D. CCS University Meerut ,Dr. B.D. Sharma, Prof. Sravan kr. Sharma H.O.D. Gurukul Kangri Vishwavidhyalaya Haridwar and many other Scholors delivered their learned lectures.
(6) Four papers have been published in different National and International Journels.
(7) The Ex- Students are employed in different Services . For example , one Student is working as Anchor ' on Indian T.V.' City Hulchul at present.
(8) Various Faculty Members have attended. The National Seminars held in different Colleges/ Institutions sponsored by U.G.C.